Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Small Success #1

Remember when I told you that I was going to try to stop weighing myself daily and focus more on how my clothes fit and how I feel?

Well, I still weigh myself every day, in the morning before I shower. I don't see myself stopping until I reach my goal weight. And, I'm okay with that. However, I want to do better at focusing on the other, non-scale-related signs of losing weight.

Today, I have a small success story to share that goes along with this idea. Do you remember me telling you here about the clothes I've bought throughout the years and never worn because they were too small? Well, one of the shirts I talked about then (March) is a white button-up shirt. At that time it fit wonderfully but now it's becoming too big! I actually feel kind of sloppy when I wear it to work because it just hangs on me. I have another white button-up shirt that I haven't been able to wear, and today I tried it on and it fit! Perfectly! (Well, except the puffy sleeves, but they're supposed to be puffy. My name is not Anne Shirley and I don't live on Prince Edward Island, so I'm not thrilled about the puffy sleeves.) However, since a white button-up shirt is a staple in my wardrobe, I'm relieved to have one that fits again. It's the last one I have that I pre-bought, so when this one gets too big, I guess I'll have to actually go out and buy one! The horror!!!

It's such a small thing, being able to fit into clothes that were previously too small, but it means the world to me. It totally made my day.

So, I've decided, in an effort to keep focusing on the small successes, I'm creating a new segment of this blog to track the small, seemingly insignificant successes I'm having. Oddly enough, it's called "Small Successes". I've never boasted about my creativity, people!

Feel free to comment about YOUR small successes - weight-related or not. I love motivational stories of all flavors!

5 comments:

Mellissa said...

I think it's a great idea to track the small things that will add up to something big - they always do. Congratulations on your smaller clothes now fitting. That has happened once or twice to me after losing baby weight, and it is a great feeling.

Cardine said...

The Anne Shirley reference made me chuckle.

So, I have had a similar experience. I was noticing a while back that my clothes were starting to get a little tight on me. Uncomfortably tight. I had gained weight, and I was at the highest weight of my whole life. Well, I made some diet changes and have been making a bigger effort to exercise, and I have lost that weight, so my clothes are fitting me so much better now! I feel so much better! And I feel like, hooray for me! And even though I'm not perfect, I feel happy about the small success.

Framed said...

I have noticed that my fat clothes are starting to fit me better. (Not what you thought?? snicker) Actually I'm trying to be more obedient in an effort to up my spirituality, so I managed to drive all the way home from town today and stayed at the speed limit. Seriously, it was sooo hard, even my car fought me. I may not be that strong. Is five miles over the limit really breaking the law?

julie said...

Missy, thanks for the congrats. You're totally right about small things adding up to something big - the big things are just so BIG they tend to get the spotlight. SO unfair. :)

Cardine, thanks, it made me giggle, too. Woohoo for your success! I've noticed that you're looking really good lately. What do you do for exercise? Maybe we could do it together sometimes.

Framed, you are so funny, you totally made me giggle. If I'm driving on the freeway, I don't consider driving 5 mph over a big deal, but if I'm driving on the road in front of my house, even 1 mph can get one pulled over. :)

ShellBell said...

I choose a banana over muffin or doughnut.

I have been making small but significantly healthier choices lately. Though not always, it takes work to change habits!