Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Little Venting

Please allow me to vent just a little bit. The following vent-ation has little or nothing to do with most of you, if not all of you, which is why I feel comfortable airing out my frustration in this venue.

Lately, there have been a few people who feel they need to comment on what I eat. It's crazy! I get more criticism of what I'm putting in my mouth now than I ever did when I weighed much, much more. For example:

Last week, having had no time to grocery shop, I brought leftover pasta salad (from family festivities) to work for lunch. Seriously, it was the only edible item in my house besides sticks of butter. My boss, coming into my office (the kitchen), scowled at my 1/2 cup of pasta salad and remarked, "I thought you weren't supposed to eat carbs." I brushed off the comment, but it really irritated me. I should have said, "I guess I don't have a personal chef/wife to shop while I work and make all my lunches and dinners for me, so I have to make do with whatever food I have." Grrrr.

This wasn't the first time since my surgery that he's made a little comment about what I'm eating. Nor is he the only one who does it. A couple other people have felt the need to question what I'm eating, too. It's really annoying. I eat about 1/3 (or less) of what most people eat, yet I don't sit and stare at their plates and judge how much they eat or what they eat. I wouldn't even think of doing that! So, why do some people do it to me?

I mean, I'm obviously doing ok - I've lost over 90 pounds in 6 months!! Yes, I cheat. I've cheated almost since day 1. Really. Two weeks after my surgery I ate 2 chocolate chip cookies (one a day) that were being offered at the front desk of the hotel at which I was staying. On the third day, the hotel didn't have the complimentary cookies out, so I ended up buying a Hostess cupcake out of the vending machine. TWO WEEKS after my surgery!

I'm not saying it wouldn't be helpful not to cheat. I'm sure I could have lost even more weight if I stuck to my doctor's prescribed diet, but I haven't. And, I don't see myself ever sticking to it 100%. I figure I have to live with how I lose weight for a long time. And, when I lose all the weight I need to lose, I'm going to have to keep it off for a very long time (my life). It would be completely unrealistic for me to never have Raisinets at a movie again for the rest of my life. So, I'm working at eating better than I used to, but in a way that is do-able on a long-term basis. No matter the reasons I eat what I eat, though, it's no one's business except my own. Humfph.

So, don't be surprised if you see me eating something that you think someone who is trying to lose weight should avoid. And please, PLEASE!, don't comment on it. I'm a woman on the edge!

In return, I promise not to wonder how someone can possibly eat a whole hamburger...on a bun...plus the side of french fries...and dessert. *smile*

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this. I wonder if some people just feel jealous at how much you have lost and that is their way of portraying it. I really think your attitude at trying to keep everything within reason and making a lifestyle change is great. Just to let you know, my mom eats pretty much whatever she wants and has kept the weight off for years now. You can too, I know you can! Keep up the good work!

Cardine said...

Yeah, I think it's:

1 - Lack of understanding about the way in which you are losing weight, or

2 - Trying to support you in a really annoying way.

I know I have exhibited both of those. I admit that I have felt unsure over whether I should call you to go out to eat before, just because I don't completely understand every morsel of every bite that you'll take. I suppose that's just my lack of understanding. Also, the annoying support: yeah, I tend to be the kind to question if someone has told me before that they weren't eating something. I think that sometimes I figure that it is cheating; although, sometimes it's good to remember that some things are not hard and fast rules... there are exceptions, but the rule should generally be followed.

I just need to remember that I HATE it when people make comments to me about stuff and to just not make them myself. If it annoys me, then it must annoy some other people, too.

And also, I think you are doing and have done fantastically!

Cardine said...

ps I can actually eat way more than a hamburger, fries, and a dessert. I can totally throw it down sometimes, and that scares me.

Framed said...

I was totally on your side until that last paragraph but OUCH, that really hurt. I have learned to not say much when I go on a diet so nobody questions if I should be eating whatever I'm eating. It was kind of fun to hear about my son asking my daughter if I was sick that one time I actually lost some weight.

Mellissa said...

I hate to say this, but I really wish you would have said what you thought in your head to your boss! He deserved it.

People sometimes have zero tact. I have experience dealing with tactless people, though not in the category of food.

I bet the doctor gives the diet outline so strict, knowing that his patients will "cheat" and grab a few treats once in a while. And enjoy your delicious Raisinets at the movies! Have you ever tried the frozen Junior Mints? Yum!

Cassie said...

I'm with Cardine, in that I think it's a lack of understanding. But your boss probably came off a little snippy so that's just rude. If I have ever or do ever question, I think it would be because of curiosity to know how that affects you. But I think you've fully explained how you are to me and hey I definitely can put food away so no judgements coming from me.

Cassie said...

Oh yeah and TWO MORE DAYS!!

julie said...

I should explain better. I have NO problems with people asking me if I can eat certain foods because they are curious about my new eating life. The couple people who I was complaining about KNOW what I can and shouldn't eat because I've told them in detail what the diet is supposed to be. So, when they see me cheating, they feel the need to comment. That is what bugs me, not people asking for more information. In fact, I love it when people ask me questions about my surgery, my diet, etc. I think it shows they care.

Oh, and that last bit was a total joke! I'd never judge what any of you eat. I don't even think about it. Except to sometimes be a little envious that you get to eat the whole burger...with a bun...and the fries...and dessert. :)