Friday, February 27, 2009

Virtual Route 3

I finally have time to post the latest progress on my virtual trip to New York. Here it is:






















As you can see, I didn't quite make it to the Colorado border, but I came awfully close! I feel good about my progress, especially since I missed a couple days (cousins weekend) and walked two days (less miles when I walk).

Start date of this section: 2.9.09
Number of days traveled: 16 - remember I missed some days
Miles traveled: 110.4
Hours traveled: 9.0
Calories burned: 2924 - doesn't include calories burned while walking
Miles 'til New York City: 2084.3

My plan is to start riding my bike in the morning and walking in the evenings once Daylight Savings starts. It'll be light enough for me to walk after work. I enjoy both activities, so I want to do both.

Last Saturday, I walked for the first time in many months and was a little nervous about how I'd feel. I walked my favorite route - from my house to the cemetery, all around the cemetery, then home again. Even when I used to walk that route three or four times a week, it was really hard walking to the cemetery because of the incline and my legs would start to burn. It would be tempting to give up and go back home.

I prepared for this feeling, but it never came. It wasn't exactly easy - my legs were still working hard - but it was a lot easier than it used to be! Losing over 50 lbs must help a lot, but I bet that riding my bike so much for the last couple months has conditioned my legs and now they're a lot stronger. It was a small, but happy, victory.

2 comments:

Mellissa said...

I'm so glad you're able to enjoy your walk now. I'm sure the stationary bike conditioned your leg muscles, and losing that weight is great! I keep finding excuse after excuse not to fit some kind of exercise into my day.

Cardine said...

One of these days I want to come with you on a walk around the cemetary.