Monday, February 9, 2009

Virtual Route 2

I really like this idea of a virtual route. (Thanks, again, Sarah!)

It doesn't really motivate me to actually exercise, I'm already pretty motivated, but it definitely motivates me to record how much I've exercised. Otherwise, I'd just huff and puff away and not know how far I'd gone, how many calories I'd burned, etc.

Here's my updated route:




















Again, I know it's small, feel free to click on it to enlarge it.

Here's a rundown of stats, because it's fun for me:

Start date (of this section): January 29, 2009
# of days traveled: 11
Miles traveled: 74.1
Hours traveled: 5.25
Calories burned: 2022
Miles left to go 'til NYC: 2194.7

Please don't think that just because there were 11 days for each interval that I did it on purpose and will always have 11 days for each interval. It's totally a coincidence. Basically, I'll just do it when I have the time and inclination to go on Google Earth. :)

I noticed that I spent less time on my bike these 11 days than the previous 11 days. Huh. Good to know. My ideal is to bike in the morning and in the evening, but there were too many days that I only biked once. However, unlike last time, I didn't skip a single day - I rode my bike every day. Woohoo! Also, I'm going faster. What used to be my "all out" pace (I go as fast as I can for 3 minutes towards the end of my ride), is now my normal pace. I used to burn 120 calories for 20 minutes, now it's over 130.

Nice.

My goal for next time is to cross into Colorado!

5 comments:

Mellissa said...

I think your way is the only way I'll ever get to Hawaii. Hey, at least I can run on water!

Framed said...

My bike doesn't tell me how many miles I've gone, but I suspect I would barely make it to the corner each time I get on the thing.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of making a short term goal. I need to do something like that... like I need to make it to the point of the mountain this week.

Also, I know what you mean about this doesn't motivate you to exercise. It's true. It's a fun thing to do, but the motivation has to come from somewhere else for me as well.

julie said...

Missy, I think running on water is amazing! I hope I get to see you do it. Hey, maybe someday we can plan a "trip" together!

Framed, you are so funny! Seriously, though, when I first started riding my bike, I probably didn't make it much further than my corner - it made my bum sore!

Sarah, it would be a better goal if I knew how often I was going to post my virtual route - then I'd know how many miles I'd need to go every day. As it is, I'm going to just go as far as I can and hope I cross into Colorado. We'll see. So, what motivates you to exercise?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I'm motivated by different things at different times. For instance, one week my motivation to exercise was due to boycotting my car. I felt so strongly about not driving that I walked everywhere for a week. It felt great, but it also made me really tired and took more time out of my already busy day. Oh, I rode the bus at times, too. But I still would get 2 miles of walking in on bus days.

Sometimes I'm motivated by people. For example, on the days I swim, I get up and get out of bed because I don't want to let Margee down. She'll be there waiting for me.

Also, occasionally I feel motivated because I remember how much I like the activity. That one isn't very sustainable though. I mean, that doesn't always get me moving.

I guess virtual route tracking is a bit of a motivation, but it's not really the fire that I thought it would be. I mean, I don't think I've actually walked on my treadmill for a couple months. Instead I have walked in the rain or snow or ice, or I have run on warm days, or I have gone swimming. Mostly it's swimming and walking outside - in the cold. I have a weird aversion to my treadmill apparently.