Thursday, January 29, 2009

Virtual Route 1

My friend, Sarah, came up with the idea of tracking exercise by traveling a virtual route from one place to another. I loved it and asked if I could copy the idea; she benevolently said I could. My goal is to go from my home town to the Empire State Building in New York City. I started last Monday; it will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get there. Like Sarah, I'll be tracking whatever exercise I do. Though now I'm only riding my stationary bike, when the weather gets warmer I hope to walk and swim as well. And hike.

Here's my virtual route so far:



I know it's kind of hard to see, but you can click on it to see it better. If you want. In case you don't want to, here's a summary:

Start date: January 18, 2009
# of "travel" days: 11
Miles traveled: 87.2
Hours traveled: 6.25
Calories burned: 2343
Miles left to go: 2268.8

New York City, here I come!

7 comments:

Mellissa said...

Good luck getting to good old NYC! Send me a postcard when you get there. :)

Booklogged said...

This sounds like a fun thing to do. I was just thinking where I'd choose for my goal - Portland, NYC, or St John's? I probably should start with a more reasonable goal - my front porch!

Anonymous said...

Oohh... I really like your map! I think I'm going to label mine differently, and make it like yours a little bit more.

And all that distance in such a short amount of time?! Wow!! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I've been playing with the map... there are some REALLY fun symbols you can use in place of the push-pin.

So fun...

Melissa said...

What a great idea! I am sure that it will help keep you motivated. I wish that I really could go to NYC and play. I so miss it sometimes! One day, one day!

Cardine said...

I should do this. It would take me a long time, but it would be fun to see. And it will be fun to see yours and Sarah's progress, too.

julie said...

Missy, I will definitely send you a postcard!

Book, you could go to all of those places! It's not like cost is a consideration! :)

Sarah, is my map different than your map? I used your map as a guide. I'm excited to see what things you've learned while playing with GE!

Melissa, you know, it really has kept me motivated this week when I've not been too keen on doing anything except eat chocolate and sleep. (I haven't done either nearly as much as I'd like - probably a good thing!) :)

Cardine, it would be fun if all three of us were doing it! Um...yeah, it's totally going to take me a long time to get there, too! Especially once I start walking - I certainly can't walk 7 miles in 30 minutes! Biking is faster, obviously.