Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Support Group

Before my surgery, I discovered that there is a weight loss surgery support group here in my home town. I was told it was small and still developing, so I wasn't sure if I'd attend it. I had really enjoyed the support group I attended in November in SG and had learned a lot. I wondered if I'd get enough support from a fledgling group. My frugal side argued that I could save money by attending the local group. If I felt it wasn't supporting me enough, I could switch to the SG group.

Last Monday, I attended my first meeting with the local group. It meets at the library, which pleases me because I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the library. I've decided to grab a couple books or so after every meeting. Woohoo! My informant was correct, it was a small group - the leader, her husband, two others, and me. As the newbie, lots of attention was focused on me. Fortunately, I don't mind being the center of attention for awhile.

The group leader, Peggy, had gastric bypass and within 9 months had lost 150 pounds! She still has a bit more to lose, especially since she gained 25 pounds back. Gaining some weight back motivated her to start attending the SG support group, but she grew tired of traveling south every month, so she became certified as a leader and started the group here a few months ago. She's really nice and funny. Her husband comes along to support her - he hasn't had weight loss surgery (WLS).

The other two members in attendance were Paul and Maylene. Paul had gastric bypass 8 years ago and lost 90 pounds. In 8 years he's put 10 pounds back on, spurring his attendance at the group - he's still overweight and would like to lose the 10 pounds plus more. Maylene has the band and had it put on in Mexico 1 1/2 years ago. She went from 202 lbs to 135 (her goal weight) and hasn't put any weight back on. Since we had the same procedure, Maylene and I chatted afterwards and she offered to answer any questions I have.

For part of the meeting, we discussed topics we'd like to cover throughout the year. I suggested Creative Cooking and Nutrition and WLS (something that really concerns me). We're also going to have speakers discuss exercising (someone is going to teach us yoga!), dealing with saboteurs, emotional changes with weight loss, setting goals, and a whole slew of other topics I can't recall right now.

The rest of the meeting involved discussing challenges we're facing right now. I wasn't facing any, so I listened to the others, taking notes on the suggestions for coping because I'm sure someday I'll be facing the same challenges. At the time I didn't know I'd be going on a work trip, or I would've asked for suggestions to help me drive without eating!

I decided I kind of like that it's a small group. I felt very welcomed and not just another person among 30 who could come and go without being noticed. We're going to plan activities outside of the meetings like walking the canyon trail, learning line dancing, and miniature golf. I think it will be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better, supporting each other, and learning more.

5 comments:

Mellissa said...

It sounds like a really great group for you, especially since there is someone who has had the same WLS as you have, and they are successful at what they want. It's also nice to have a small group to coordinate extra-curricular (so to speak) activities for your group. Have fun!

Cardine said...

That's really cool. It really is a lot easier to succeed when there's a network of people trying to support it.

Framed said...

I'm so glad it's a small group. It's so much easier to feel like you have a place and to get ot know everyone. Not that you have a hard time getting to know people.

Booklogged said...

I wonder if they have support groups for overweight, obsessive-compulsive, agorophobic, old people? I have a friend . . .

tearese said...

Thats great to find a group who can identify with what you've gone through, I'm sure it will be so helpful! I hope everything continues to go well.