Monday, January 12, 2009

Driving and Eating, Eating and Driving

To me, they go hand in hand, like peanut butter and jelly or Oreos and milk or...(trying to think of something unrelated to food)...or...pen and paper (aha!).

Not that I grew up eating in the car a lot. Mostly, I slept on our family trips, making the journey seem shorter. However, since sleeping while I drive isn't an option nowadays, I eat. I tried to eat healthy food while driving, but looking back on last year's plethora of trips, I definitely fit in a lot of unhealthy food. Seriously, whenever I'd stumble across a bag of mint crispy M&Ms I'd buy at least two bags - one for immediate consumption and the other for the next day. I'd eat out at diners (heavens, I still remember that delicious bacon, lettuce, tomato, and egg sandwich in Guernsey!), fast food, corn dogs at Flying J, and the occasional bag of chips. Even my "healthy" choices were nutritionally-lacking; licorice, pretzels, and sunflower seeds.

After my surgery, I figured I'd have awhile to figure out what I would do once I started driving again. I certainly didn't expect to get a job offer on my second day back to work! I panicked a little, not knowing what I would eat, how I'd stay awake, and if I would have the energy needed to get through a day of testing.

I consulted with my mom and she suggested almonds (good fats and protein) and string cheese. I bought both and caved in and bought a bag of BBQ sunflower seeds, too, just in case. (It's unbelievable how much they help me fight off fatigue!) Oh, and a bag of cinnamon hard candy to relieve my sweet tooth. Oh, and water. A big bottle of water because I get thirsty very easily nowadays. Finally, I brought along my leftover pork medallions for meals. I didn't want them to go to waste and they're the perfect size!

When I set out, I made a pact with myself to only eat when I was 1) physically hungry and not just bored and 2) going to fall asleep if I didn't. It worked quite well really. No mindless snacking. The two books on CD that Mom loaned me helped a lot, too. They were really interesting and kept my mind occupied. The pork gave me two healthy dinners then I had to throw the rest out because my Casper hotel didn't have a fridge. I ended up settling on Chicken Selects from McD's because I couldn't think of what else to buy. I ate one a meal. I've gotta say, I'm going to save a bundle on food now!

I did make some unwise choices, though. The hotel offered chocolate chip cookies at the desk. When I checked in, I took one. It took me a long time to eat it, but it was so good! The next night, I stopped by the desk and had another one. I couldn't finish it, but what I ate was divine. The last night, they didn't offer any cookies. I was so looking forward to one that I bought a package of Hostess cupcakes from the vending machine right next to my room. I could only eat 1/2 at a time, but throughout the night, I ate both cupcakes. I was so sick!!! Now the thought of them makes me want to puke. If only they would have had a cookie available! Really, if only I would have been strong at first and not taken the first cookie! I learned a lesson, though, I need to give myself healthy sweet options for after dinner or I'll turn to less healthy options. I wish I could say I'll never want dessert again, but I'm not there. I may never be there. At home I have sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free jello. When I'm out at a job, I'll need to come up with something so I don't eat cupcakes again. (Though I don't think it'll be cupcakes again. Bleh!)

All in all, though, I think I did fairly well. I even managed to exercise every day! Most of the time, I just walked up and down the hallway several times, but Saturday night I finally discovered where the fitness room was hiding and rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes while watching The Empire Strikes Back. It felt good. I love stationary bike rides.

Weight loss for the week: 4 pounds
Total weight loss: 36 pounds

8 comments:

Cardine said...

Yeah, the thing that gets me is that a lot of times, it's just really my mind that wants something to eat. I'm not actually that hungry, but I crave chewing on something. Which is weird.

Mellissa said...

I really don't know how you manage eating healthy on a road trip! It's definitely my worst time for eating! If you need a chocolate fix you could try the Fiber One granola bars. They have 9 grams of dietary fiber per bar, compared to others on the market that have only 1! Buy a bag of mini carrots, freeze some go-gurts before you leave. Good luck, and congrats on your weight loss to date.

Lori Clark said...

For your sweet tooth on trips, try the pudding they sell in the little plastic cups - some of them don't need to be refrigerated. They a variety of flavors and also usually have fat free or sugar free varieties.

I still need to bring you some of Ryan's jerky - that is nice for trips too.

Melissa said...

Missy and Lori have given some great ideas on eating healthy. My kids love the frozen go-gurts! I have a hard time being home all day, every day and keeping it healthy, so I can sympathize while driving. I am sure that you will find what will really help curb those really sweet cravings and such with a little time. Good luck!

julie said...

Cardine, I have struggled with the need to chew, too, and am still perfecting solutions to it. Lately, chewing gum for a few minutes has worked well. Sometimes sucking on a mint suffices. Other times, nothing helps and I just grin and bear it. :)

Missy, I can't eat cranola bars right now, but once I can, I'll totally try the Fiber One brand. I also can't eat carrots, but I'm going to try go-gurts. I've never even heard of them before but I like the idea that they can be frozen. They sound easy to transport, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Lori, sugar-free jello cups is a great suggestion - thank you! And, I'd love some jerky! You're right, it would be perfect for trips. Thank you!!

Melissa, does everyone but me know about go-gurts?? I totally have to get in on this action! Isn't it funny how easier it is to snack on unhealthy food? I wonder if it's just because we fall into that habit. I'm banking on eating healthy becoming a habit eventually. Thanks!

Framed said...

I didn't know about go-gurts, but I'd better learn. At least you've lost 36 pounds and exercise. I just started exercising this week, so I can't really call it a habit. But I've lost a pound. Yay!!! I have no good suggestions for healthy eating while driving. My go-to food is peanut clusters. But books-on-CD are what keep my awake. Cheya has my copy of "I Feel Bad About My Neck." You would enjoy it even if you're not old like us. Maybe she will be done before you visit again.

tearese said...

Ah, I can't believe the vending machine was right next to your room. Those jerks!
I don't know if this is related....but when I'm pregnant, I have to eat every few hours or I feel sick. Last pregnancy, I craved McD's hamburgers, so when I was hungry at the hotel in Albequerque, I had Joseph go get me some. Well, he took way too long, so I felt REALLY sick when he got back. Then the burgers were super dry with just a dab of ketchup each. I took about two bites, but the smell was just making me nausiated. I had to throw them the way, and I spent the rest of the night trying not to think about it so I wouldn't throw up.
Now...I can't stand the thought of Mc D's hamburgers, and just the smell of it makes me slightly ill.
Okay, that wasn't related at all, but your story reminded me of it.
I guess keep doing like you tried: bring somewhat healthy treats of your own, so the others are less tempting.

tearese said...

PS I think the people know about Go-gurts because they have kids! After reading these, I'm now craving jello.
When I worked for Food Sense, I remember reading lots of studies about how unhealthy foods are cheaper (per amount of energy they provide) and easier to prepare and eat. Thats whey they say lower income people tend to have more weight problems...its just easier and cheaper!
So it IS a conspiracy.