Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Doctor Visit #???

I'm so sorry I've been neglecting this blog! Life has been so crazy! It didn't help that I changed jobs and lost my Virtual Route to New York. I've been recreating it on my new computer, but it's slow going, especially since the last three weeks I've had a roommate who has spent a lot of time on my computer, meaning I couldn't be on it. Although, to be fair, I wasn't really do a good job of working on my virtual route before he came along. :) Never fear, though, I AM keeping track of my exercising and will get a new route up soon. I'm interested to see where I am.

Until then, I thought I'd share with you my experience at the doctor's office this morning. My last appointment was the beginning of December and I've lost over 30 lbs since then (my weight loss has dramatically slowed, but I'm ok). I was supposed to have an appointment in February but I had just started a new job and didn't feel comfortable taking a morning off (my doctor is 45 minute away, remember) so soon after starting.

I walked in and immediately the nurses started oohing and aahing over me; "Oh Julie, you look amazing!", "Wow Julie, you look so pretty!", etc. It was super sweet of them. I caught them up on what I've been doing lately (new job, dating, softball, roommates, etc.) and found out about them. I love the people at my doctor's office - they are so nice! I was weighed and measured and congratulated for doing so well then was placed in the room to wait for the Dr.

Dr. S came in and smiled really big. "Julie," he said, "you look wonderful! You're doing so well!" It was great to hear that from him...especially since I've kind of been slipping lately. We talked about that and he remotivated me to do better with my diet but also congratulated me on my exercise levels. He's sure, and I agree, that exercising has been the secret to my success and will be the reason I'm able to keep off the weight long-term. Which is why I'm planning on exercising til the day I die. After some discussion, we decided to give me a little fill, something I hadn't expected, but after talking with him, I agreed to give it a try. I do find myself looking for food more often than I used to. If it's just because I needed a fill, it should be better now. If the feeling doesn't go away, then I'll know it's a mental thing I need to correct. My bet is on the latter, but I'm hoping the fill helps me conquer the mental urge to snack.

When Dr. S had given me the fill, he sat back down with a serious look on his face. He thanked me for coming in and for doing so well with my weight-loss. He confessed that sometimes he gets discouraged because people aren't taking full advantage of the surgery and either don't lose as much weight as they could or start gaining it back shortly after the surgery. He starts to wonder if what he's doing does any good. Then he sees me, a "minority" of WLS patients, and it rejuvenates him and helps him see that he is doing something good. I still have weight to lose, and I hear that maintaining weight loss is a million times harder than losing it, so I can't say I'm some perfect WLS patient, but hearing him say that really inspired me to do better. Not just so I don't let him down, but because it reminded me that it's my choice whether or not I take full advantage of my surgery and to have the body I want to have.

I thanked him for telling me and told him how much the surgery has changed my life...that it saved my life. I was so big, so obese, that I imagine I would have lived a shortened life, but that's not all. I wasn't living my life any more. I was existing, not living. Now I'm living and it feels amazing. I'm so much happier now. The surgery he performed on me DID ME GOOD. He smiled and thanked me for telling him. I said I'd do an ad for him whenever he wanted. We both chuckled. I drank some water (to make sure it would go down) and left, saying goodbye to all the nurses on my way out. My next appointment isn't for another 6 months, unless I need any adjustments or help before then.

I keep thinking how fortunate I am. I did absolutely no research about surgeons beyond the casual reference a lady my dad knows made. And yet, I ended up with a really great, compassionate surgeon who I trusted then and I still trust. He's a good man and it was great to reconnect with him as his patient. It amazes me how much that contact helps me recenter my weight loss efforts.

Oh, and I'm thinking of going back to support group. The one here fizzled, so I'll have to go to St. George, but it's only once a month! I used to go down there at least once a week to see my boyfriend, so once a month won't kill me. I think it'll really help me as I lose the remaining 20 or so pounds and definitely while I try to maintain the loss.

The next one is next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

Cassie said...

You are doing so good and I think if anyone can be successful at this it's you. You do look so amazing.

Cardine said...

I need to take a page from the book of Julie because I can't even seem to lose 5 lbs. I'm holding pretty steady where I usually am, which is good, but I'd like to shed a few.

I would like to be more motivated, and I need to try a little harder at that.

Mellissa said...

That's great that you and your doctor both made each other's day. I'm glad you're living again! That said, when are we going to get together for tennis?!

Melissa said...

I think that it is GREAT that you have such a supportive and compassionate doctor. It sounds like he is really good at what he does!

You inspired me this year to get healthier and lose weight. To see what you had accomplished by working hard with diet, exercise and with a little help (surgery), really kicked me into gear. You are truly an AMAZING person!!! Keep up the Awesome work!

julie said...

Oh my! I just realized I haven't changed my background in FOREVER! The sad thing is that it's still semi-current as we got snow as recently as three days ago! I'll get on it asap, but don't hold your breath. :)

Cassie, thanks for the encouragement!

Cardine, staying motivated is definitely the key...a hard key sometimes. Good luck! I think you look pretty dang good as is. :)

Missy, tennis? Let's do it! How about next week? I'll send out an email.

Melissa, thank you so much for your comment...what a sweet thing to say. You've done an amazing job, too, and are looking fabulous! Are you up for tennis next week? I'll email you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all these details. It makes me feel like I get to be with you during these amazing life changes... and closer to you somehow.

tearese said...

I think you're doing amazing. I remember I told my mom when you first got your surgery, and she was very skeptical, telling me everyone she knows who's had surgeries like that all got heavier afterward. I'm glad you've been proving her wrong!