Tuesday, December 16, 2008

One Week Away

Hopefully this time next week, my surgery will be a fait accompli, and I'll be sleeping in my brother's uber-comfy bed, or at least dozing in front of the living room TV. It hardly seems possible that it's been three months since I started looking into having Lap Band and almost two since I decided to go through with it. Time flies.

Except this week. It's going slower than a snail with a broken leg*.

I'm hungry. I know I should try not to be hungry, but I haven't figured out how to convince my body that downing three cans of SlimFast, a glass of apple juice, and gallons of water is sufficient for its survival. Oh wait...it's not. Huh. I try to supplement this meager diet with the occasional hard candy (Werther's Originals) or piece of gum. Last night, I even treated myself to a Lemonade popsicle! I'm not sure these are exactly "by the rules" but figure that they have to be better than eating solid food. (You have no idea how appetizing the unadorned tortilla residing in my work refrigerator seems at this moment!)

At work, not eating really isn't too bad (despite the scrumptious-looking tortilla taunting me from the refridgerator!). I stay busy enough to not think too much about eating, even when my boss and coworker are warming up their lunches in the kitchen/my office. I sip on my can of SlimFast for about an hour, after which time I proceed to sipping on water and sucking on candy or chewing gum. Last night wasn't too bad, either. My roommates are really sympathetic and ate before I got home. Then they kept me occupied by playing games with me. I went to bed early, so the night was over before I knew it.

Sometimes I think, This isn't too bad, and at other times I can't fathom how I'm going to make it 'til next Tuesday. I'm doing some heavy praying and trying to remember to take it one day at a time.

Honestly, after 10 days of SlimFast and a week of clear liquids/jello, a half-cup of a food is going to seem like an absolute feast!

I'm really looking forward to that half-cup.

'Til then, I'll enjoy not having to decide what to eat, visiting the bathroom every couple hours, and losing 5 pounds in two days (true story).

There's always a silver lining, right? And being skinnier and healthier will be worth it, right?

Right???



*I know snails don't have legs - I was being funny. And witty. And a little bit charming. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right! I'll be praying for you, too. I just have a feeling you're going to do great. :)

Mellissa said...

I second Sarah's right. As long as it's what you truly want, you'll find the strength to endure all you need to in order for you to be happy. I'll be praying right along with everyone else for you.

julie said...

Thanks, you guys! :)

warnser said...

I like the bit about the snail (and his broken leg)
Starving does not sound fun.

But the good news is that it will probably make eating seem amazing when you can actually do it again.

Right?

Good luck
Ü

Booklogged said...

I feel like a snail with a broken leg most days. You are amazing sticking to the liquid diet. I don't know if I could do it.