Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Decisions

I'm kind of proud of myself.

Tonight, leaving work and contemplating the lack of food in my kitchen that belongs to me, Arctic Circle - which is right next door to my office building - tempted me almost to my breaking point. Lately under these circumstances I would have given in and turned into Arctic Circle. I almost did. I slowed considerably as I passed the turn and was thisclose to turning, but I decided that eating fast food tonight would completely cancel out this morning's fabulous exercise.

I had worked hard this morning. I got out of bed earlier than normal - my warm, comfortable bed - to ride my stationary bike for 20 minutes and 4.7 miles. I love this time of day; the bike is in front of my east-facing window and I get to watch as the horizon lightens and the sun finally peeks over the mountain. It's lovely. It's also a good workout for me. My legs start to ache and I have to work to keep going when it would be so easy to quit. So, the thought of this hard work becoming null and void just because I hadn't gone grocery shopping was unacceptable. I came home and ate cereal and swiss cheese and crackers.

I've made several good decisions lately. Small decisions, but together they add up to important changes. I'm going to do something very drastic to lose weight but that doesn't mean I'll be able to sit back and watch the weight melt off. The surgery is a tool. I use it to remind myself why I want to make good decisions. Once I have the surgery, it'll be harder, but not impossible, to make unhealthy food choices. Tough choices will still have to be made time after time after time. You might say that once I'm on the right path, I'll have to continue to work hard and endure to the end. (I love the gospel analogy game!) Small decisions, like waking up to exercise and eating cereal instead of french fries, are even more important, more necessary, than the big decision of having the surgery.

You might say that by small and simple things great things can be accomplished. :)

5 comments:

Mellissa said...

I feel the same temptation to grab a quick bite to eat when there isn't much in my fridge. Good job for passing AC - that takes some serious control. I also find that when I'm exercising it makes eating naughty things a bit less tempting. I had to put all that energy to waste just for a quick pleasure.

Cardine said...

Nice conclusion at the end there. I wish that I had the desire to get up early to exercise.

julie said...

Missy, exercise has never really had that affect on me 'til now. I wonder if it's because I've never really been serious about losing weight before. Sometime, when my foot stops hurting, let's go for a nice walk and chat!

Cardine, preparing for this surgery has really lit a fire under me to exercise more. It's a good thing!

James said...

do you like dogs? they make for a relaxing morning walk and excersze that is both fun and stress free...that is until they chew your neighbor

julie said...

WhyMe, I love dogs and would love to get one - you're right, it would be a great way to get exercise. Someday, maybe. Right now I have a roommate so no room for a dog.

Chew your neighbor??? :)